A Trip Around the World quilt is almost a rite of passage in the life of a quilter. Its classic design and simple construction makes it appealing to everyone. It’s also a great way to use any 2-1/2″ strips you may have acquired.
The original tutorial for the scrappy 12″ block version of this pattern was designed by Bonnie Hunter and can be found on her blog, here.
Both Alli and Cindy have made stunning versions of this pattern with the alternating background strips. (The links above will take you to their finished quilts. Alli used a Jelly Roll and Cindy made her version scrappy with a distinct colour palette). The inclusion of the background strips makes a big difference to the overall feel of the finished quilt.
I chose this pattern for two very specific reasons –
- January is a really busy month for me and I wanted to make a quilt that would be easy and quick to piece, and
- I felt the fabric was going to benefit from the calming effect of an equal amount of background fabric, which would give the colours a chance to shine and not compete with each other.
As soon as I began to place the blocks on my design wall I knew I had made the perfect choice.
While it is a little difficult to see in the images, many of the prints in the Lemon Tree collection are directional.
Because of this, I assembled my blocks ensuring half of the chains ran diagonally up from the bottom left to the top right (block A), and half ran in the opposite direction down from the top left to the bottom right (block b).
By consistently pressing towards the patterned fabric and laying out my blocks in this way, I was able to nest all my seams. And, my OCD tendencies were able to rest easy because the directional fabric was oriented in the same direction – woohoo, that’s the sort of thing that makes me enormously happy ;).
To tell you the truth, this whole quilt makes me happy! It’s a little bit of sunshine on an overcast day ;).
Trip Around the World Quilt Stats:
Pattern: Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt variation.
Finished Size: 64″ x 80″.
Fabric: Tilda Lemon Tree.
Background: Unknown. I pulled it from my stash, but it is reminiscent of an ivory background.
Quilting: All over meander. Natural coloured thread.
Backing: Tilda Bumblebee ‘Rosa Mollis’
When making this quilt I cut enough strips to make a second quilt! Would you like to win your own 2-1/2″ x 21″ strip collection of Lemon Tree to make yourself a Trip Around the World quilt?
(Or maybe you could use the strips to make something from the new book – Start with Strips by Susan Ache. I admit I was a little tempted to keep the strips to do just that, but I reminded myself it’s good to share ;).
To enter the giveaway for the fabric,
- Leave me a comment on this blog post and let me know what you are planning to make next. I am trying to decide between a mini Trip Around the World quilt, or Train Tracks from Susan’s book…???
- If you are a Facebook user, like the Aqua Paisley Studio page and join in the conversation, and
- Tag a friend on the giveaway post on Instagram, inviting them to participate too.
I will pick a random winner on Saturday 17/02/18. GIVEAWAY NOW CLOSED.
The winner is comment #87 – Cat.
Thanks for visiting today.
If you would like more Lemon Tree fabric inspiration don’t forget to check out the Caravan Tote I made for my daughter.