Today I am officially launching my latest pattern – Wonderful!
The Wonderful quilt is the perfect pattern if you are looking for a quick quilt to make before the holidays.
All you need is some 10-inch squares and a contrasting background fabric and you will be able to make this quilt in no time at all.
My favourite thing about this design is that it can resemble a star or a snowflake. Making it the perfect quilt for the ‘most wonderful time of the year’. And, giving it its name ;).
Making the Quilt
The quilt is constructed with simple Half Square Triangles and Flying Geese units. And is a great way to use one of your favourite Layer Cakes.
For my Wonderful Quilt I used fabric from the Vintage Holiday collection by Bonnie & Camille, and Essex Yarn Dyed Linen in the colour Shale by Robert Kaufman.
If you have never sewn with linen before then there are a number of great resources you can find online that delve deeper into the topic. Here are some great links:
- Quilting with Essex Linen by Quilty Love
- How to Sew with Linen by Suzy Quilts
- Quilting with Linen by Stitched in Color
- 6 Tips and Tricks for Quilting with Linen by Angela Mitchell for Craftsy
My Favourite Tips for Working with Essex Linen.
- Pre wash your fabric. That way you can be sure the majority of shrinkage has happened prior to cutting.
- Spray with Best Press or starch. Once the fabric is dry, iron it as well as you can on the back of the fabric. Then let the fibers rest for a few days before cutting.
- Because the linen has a sparser weave compared to cotton it is helpful to shorten the stitch length on your sewing machine to help reinforce the seams.
- Ensure the quilt is densely quilted to lessen the likelihood of any seams potentially fraying and then unravelling.
But of course you don’t have to make this quilt with linen!! Whatever background you choose just be sure that it provides contrast with all the fabrics in your Layer Cake for the best result.
Making this Wonderful Quilt was a lovely stress free experience despite all those points and working with linen – so don’t feel in any way intimidated! The construction method and pressing technique ensures the units piece together beautifully and with patience and craftsmanship you can achieve perfect points almost every time :).
- Pattern – Wonderful Quilt
- Size – 70″ x 70″
- Feature Fabric – Vintage Holiday by Bonnie & Camille
- Background Fabric – Essex Yarn Dyed Linen
- Backing Fabric – Vintage Holiday Red Trees Yardage
- Batting – Wool Blend Batting
- Quilting – Twirl pantograph by Urban Elementz
Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale – Hans Christian Andersen
The Pattern is Available Now
If you would like to purchase a PDF version and get sewing right away, the pattern is available for immediate download in my shop.
For this week only you can use the coupon code SEASONSGREETINGS to purchase the pattern and receive a 20% discount off the regular price.
And please note, if you live outside Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the US, you can purchase the pattern here.
As the days lead up to the holiday season, the anticipation inevitably builds, and it sometimes feels as though our to-do lists get longer and longer! So, as you are preparing for the special moments with your loved ones, I hope you think to take some time out for yourself and cosy up with your sewing machine to make a quilt that will hold all your seasonal memories for this year.